Why I Love Toronto Reason #333
Happy pedestrian sunday Toronto! If you were lucky enough to spend this beautiful day at Kensington Market then I am truly jealous because I had to work all day – boourns. Anyways, I think today would be a good day to put Kensington Market on my list. Now certain places in the Kensington area have already appeared on this list such as Wanda’s Pie In The Sky, The Kensington Firehall, Bungalow, El Gordo and some of the many thrift stores that call the area home. It is also a National Historic Site of Canada.
Kensington Market boarders College on the north, Spadina on the east, Dundas on the south and finally Bathurst in the west. However it was much smaller when it first started in the very early 1800’s. In fact Kensington was nothing more than a 100 acre lot given to Captain John Denison who built the Bellevue Estate (no longer around). Denison began to sell the land to a number of British and Irish immigrants making it predominately home for a middle Anglo-Saxon class. It was due to this wave of immigrants that the names of the street in the area were given British street names like Kensington Ave, Fitzroy Terrace, Oxford St and Wales Ave. In the 1900’s the area received a wave of Jewish settlers. The Jewish people who settled here began what was called the Jewish Marketplace which were stands set up in front of their homes. Then starting in the 1940 a number of other immigrants from around the world began to descend on the neighbourhood. Today it is probably one of the most multicultural hubs in this city.
The area is home to many shops that include: clothing (mostly thrift stores), jewellery shops, Sonic Boom’s Vinyl shop, retro furniture stores, food stores (which are amazing you get food you can’t normally find in grocery stores as well as spices, fruits, vegetables, cheese, fish, bread and pops from around the world – my favorite is Inca Cola, restaurants/ other food and drink places, a world shop (that sells almost every countries flag, key chain etc), there was once a store called Lettuce Knit that I have not seen it in a while, the Blue Banana which is a cool mixture of different knick knacks as well there are bars for the Hipsters of the world such as Cold Tea and Augusta House.
Speaking of houses there are also some very beautiful Victorian row-houses in the area too that were built in the 1870’s around the time when the area was populated by British and Irish people.
It is so nice to walk around the Kensington area, I remember when my grandmother was able to walk long distances we would always come and she would buy certain ingredients for Easter and Christmas brunch that she couldn’t find anywhere else and I always had such a good time finding the most interesting things. Also I love coming here to take pictures of the fruit stands, the signs and everything else. It is always nice to walk around the Kensington area and if there is one place you should take visiting families or friends its here.
That is Why I Love Toronto.
43 Notes/ Hide
- theiconoclastkid likes this
- kolbiepeace likes this
- paintitback likes this
- neptunemooon reblogged this from whyilovetoronto and added:
- joey613 reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- rosa-surfer likes this
- girlnamedrockandroll reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- yetanothercriminalmindsfanatic reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- maybeinadream likes this
- beyonceuponatimee reblogged this from pricklylegs
- wanderp reblogged this from suspencersmith
- wanderp likes this
- pooch33se-182 likes this
- suspencersmith reblogged this from searchingforstrawberryfields
- searchingforstrawberryfields reblogged this from pricklylegs and added:
- e-gay reblogged this from pricklylegs
- youtubewhore reblogged this from pricklylegs
- pricklylegs reblogged this from whyilovetoronto and added:
- bright-young-thing reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- hipster-womens-fashion likes this
- the-nao-cung-duoc likes this
- sylniabab reblogged this from notalickofsense
- fullerenes likes this
- jai-d likes this
- yennyunicorn reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- yennyunicorn likes this
- garychapple likes this
- notalickofsense reblogged this from whyilovetoronto and added:
- notalickofsense likes this
- vivranthing likes this
- kealindoubleyou likes this
- aposse likes this
- ice-bitch reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- sreforcamusic reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- billiusbaggins likes this
- hycfxduisknbfhjr reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- aikidcruz likes this
- yetanothercriminalmindsfanatic likes this
- whyilovetoronto posted this