Why I Love Toronto Reason #298
Oh U of T campus, how I love thee. As I come into the final days of my blog Knox College is one of the 3 final U of T buildings that will be making an appearance. Knox is a beautiful college that has a chapel, library, a stunning quad/ courtyard and a beautiful outdoor seating area/ hall/ corridor that is enclosed with windowless arches.
The Ontario Government gave Knox College the ability to grant degrees in 1858 at which time it was located at 1 Spadina Crest (where it stayed until 1915). The current building which is what this post is dedicated to is located next to Convocation Hall and on the circumference of Kings College Circle. The gothic building which I meant to resemble schools in England is absolutely stunning. The building was awarded to The Presbyterian Church of Canada and continues to maintain that heritage today.
Here are my top reasons to love Knox College:
1 The main entrance light fixtures. I love the lanterns that are attached to exterior, I think more for the tint of orange it has in it. I don’t know why, but I am a big fan of light fixtures.
2 The Corridor. It has stunning arched ceilings, the hanging lanterns, basket plants whose vines droop down and finally these beautiful arched slits that sit open.
3. The Quad/ Courtyard. You can see so many layers of the building from the courtyard. The grass (which was probably maintained for Convocation) was the greenest grass your most likely to ever see. The little garden and fountain in the middle are a great centre piece as well as being surrounded by the many different shaped windows of the building and seeing the vines that cover the south-west exterior .
4. The Library has these exquisite wood beams on the ceiling, along with the windows and chandeliers. I like this library because I feel it is more of a study space than a library. Unlike Graham and Roberts in which you are surrounded by books I feel that this library is more of a place to study.
5. The Church. I love churches you all know this. And this church is small and simple. My favorite part is the light and the colour of the pews because when the light shines in the sun compliments the pews perfectly. Also I love the cobblestone looking aisle.
This is a stunning college and when I was there last at the beginning of June there were a number of grads taking pictures here as well as wedding parties taking their photos, but it is for sure a very romantic spot, like almost everything on the U of T campus.
That is Why I Love Toronto.
24 Notes/ Hide
- older-newer reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- sensitivethugsyallneedhugs likes this
- aneddienunnn likes this
- tatianapea reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- tatianapea likes this
- mousearoo likes this
- pastaforian reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- ebrigham likes this
- to-run-amokk reblogged this from coldcaveat2
- amountainfar likes this
- rjrovano likes this
- hahahanooope likes this
- mint-chocolategelato likes this
- thosepeskykids likes this
- avocado-roll likes this
- whosecityisthis likes this
- howboutachangeofscene reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- quiet-library likes this
- whyilovetoronto posted this