Why I Love Toronto Reason #247
York University Glendon Campus
Now I will be the first to admit York’s Keele Campus is not the nicest right now. The TTC Construction has made the campus a disaster zone. The entrance way is blocked by construction equipment and there is just way to much traffic in the commons. My last year there was hectic because of this and its sad I won`t be able to see the campus the way I did when I first started.
However, York U has two campuses one known as Keele and the other as Glendon. Now Glendon is a beautiful campus and looks like it could be a part of U of T. The campus is really small compared to the Keele campus with around 2,500 students (that`s almost the size of some high schools in Toronto). It is a bilingual school with both French and English, however a majority of the classes are in French. In fact everyone at Keele called it the French York.
What is most amazing is the land it is on. Glendon is on the old Wood Family estate which had a mansion and at least 84 acres of garden. The mansion was known as Glendon Hall Mansion and was built by Edward Rogers Wood (a financier and founder of Dominion Securities) in 1924. The Wood estate also had a large gardens, parkland and nature sites and they planted exotic trees and flowers on the estate. The nature is the best part about this campus, from the flowers to the trees which during the beginning of the school begin to change colours. Even some of the buildings are covered with vines, and you know how much I love buildings that are covered in vines - it ages them beautifully.
Edward Wood died in 1941 and his widow, Euphemia, in 1950 gave the hall to U of T and 10 years later U of T gave the property to York University. The First Principal of the school was diplomat Escott Reid and in 1966 PM Lester B. Pearson inaugurated the university.
The school is also said to be very haunted. There is one story of a lady who wears white while floating around the Bruce Bryden Rose Garden. She is also notorious for photo bombing wedding pictures. Apparently her favorite place in the garden is the gazebo.
Another tale is of a haunted room in Hilliard Residence as well as rooms in Wood D house and the C House Basement. Another popular tale is of the Lady in the Library who looks out the windows on winter nights. There are even rumours of ghostly dogs running through the gardens.
Regardless, Glendon is a beautiful campus. It has beautiful gardens, beautiful buildings, sits on a vast amount of history and is haunted. Glendon Campus is
Why I Love Toronto.
52 Notes/ Hide
- hells-angels-mc reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- hells-angels-mc likes this
- lyanaalvarado likes this
- belindapendragon likes this
- wetravelfast00 reblogged this from whyilovetoronto and added:
- pushtoyourlimits likes this
- dorito-zombie likes this
- ect1 likes this
- adeelam reblogged this from whyilovetoronto and added:
- adeelam likes this
- forrestgumpfan likes this
- truebluefangirl likes this
- laphilosofille likes this
- trianglething reblogged this from ginguy
- ginguy reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- toyouandyouandyou likes this
- agoodvisualaid likes this
- thatcanadiangurl reblogged this from paperairplanecookies and added:
- changeoftimeandplace reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- changeoftimeandplace likes this
- vertueuse likes this
- chapter7 likes this
- mydeardunwall likes this
- drunkmanatee reblogged this from pricklylegs
- sandyeyes reblogged this from whyilovetoronto and added:
- dudguacamole likes this
- sickdealbro likes this
- jeanninecandace reblogged this from ange-gardien and added:
- ange-gardien reblogged this from mtobinod
- mtobinod reblogged this from whyilovetoronto and added:
- curlyhairedthinker reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- ciarzard reblogged this from whyilovetoronto and added:
- hightimefun reblogged this from pricklylegs
- lalalolow reblogged this from pricklylegs
- danystormborntargaryen reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- septembernonamenightfire likes this
- sfreefree likes this
- youtubewhore reblogged this from pricklylegs
- apollovalentino likes this
- yennyunicorn likes this
- swoozee likes this
- pricklylegs reblogged this from whyilovetoronto
- aposse likes this
- whyilovetoronto posted this